- 5 June 2002
- No. 2,996 (cartoon)
- I dont think I can do it.
I think I can.
Were probably both right.
- 6 June 2002
- Corporation Bugs
- San Francisco office buildings are starting to resemble museums. On those unfortunate occasions when I find myself in those tragic environments, Im struck by how many grim businesspeople I find pressed against the glass windows.
The sad worker drones would look like insects in a glass museum case, except for one crucial distinction: museum critters dont wriggle. Im amazed and depressed by the sight of so many young serfs writhing inside their glass cages.
Theyre all trying to get better connections from their little mobile phones. I dont know why they bother; no ones going to rescue them.
- 7 June 2002
- Fecal Face Joke
- Harriet forwarded me an invitation to some sort of art event, A Night With Fecal Face. The invitation suggested, Come for the art, stay cause youre too drunk to drive. Although thats certainly a clever line, I didnt laugh. Drinking and driving jokes usually arent very funny ever since a drunk driver killed a dear friend of mine.
- 8 June 2002
- Moving Air Around
- Clint told me that hes given up on music.
Why? I asked. You were pretty good.
Maybe, maybe not, Clint replied. After twenty-some years, I finally realized that all I was doing was moving air around.
After that exchange I started to wonder whether all I do is push pixels and bytes around. And then I decided to stop wondering. Sometimes a person can think too hard.
- 9 June 2002
- Catching Something from Huey
- Im listening to Huey advising Kim to avoid college courses geared toward becoming a specialist, but Im not paying much attention. Like Huey, Im a generalist; thats as good an excuse as any for not knowing much about anything.
Im sure youve heard the old saying, Huey said, more is caught than taught.
I hadnt heard that before. I cant spend much time with Huey without learning something. Or, perhaps more accurately, catching something.
- 10 June 2002
- Can Respond Unpredictably If Provoked
- Curtis lives in an apartment with a large, bay window overlooking a busy street. Curtis likes the view the window provides, and so do the people passing by.
Curtis doesnt like the strangers gawks and stares, but they dont bother him enough to close the curtains. Since the constant stream of viewers makes Curtis feel like hes living in a zoo, he decided to post the appropriate signage.
He taped a large photograph of himself in one corner of the window, and mounted a notice beside it.
Last Friday night Curtis noticed a man standing on the sidewalk in front of his window eating a slice of pizza. Curtis decided to entertain the stranger, and did his best imitation of a chimpanzee by jumping up and down on the couch, shrieking, and scratching his armpits.
The man responded by throwing his pizza against the window then running away. Dogs or rats ate the pizza during the night, but Curtis still had to clean the grease off the window on Saturday morning.
last weak |
©2002 David Glenn Rinehart