- 16 January 2004
- No. 9,771 (cartoon)
- Youre a back stabber.
Youre a traitor.
Were meant to be together.
- 17 January 2004
- Outrageous Publicity
- Its hard to shock anyone these days, but Dror Feiler and Gunilla Skoeld Feiler recently pulled off that increasingly difficult feat. The artists exhibited an installation in Sweden that outraged millions of people and received international publicity.
The piece, Snow White and the Madness of Truth, featured a small model of a boat floating on a sea of red liquid. The boats sail had a picture of a serene-looking Palestinian suicide bomber who killed twenty-two people in Israel last October.
Israels ambassador to Sweden, Zvi Mazel, critiqued the work by trying to destroy it. His vandalism-as-criticism approach resulted in minimum damage to the art and maximum publicity for the artists. (The ignorant bureaucrat didnt know that the only way to destroy art is to ignore it.)
The Feilers said their installation was meant as a condemnation of terrorism, and I see their point. I wonder if Mazelwho Dror Feiler called an intellectual dwarfwould have been happier if the work depicted Israels prime minister adrift on a sea of blood?
I think the Feilers mistake was to only annoy half their audience when they could have enraged twice as many people by including both Israeli and Palestinian advocates of violence sailing on the same bloody sea.
- 18 January 2004
- The Deadline is the Solution
- Nothing has happened so far today, nothings going on at the moment, and I see no indication that anything will happen before midnight. Its hard to write about nothing, so I dont know how Im going to fill my pointless quota of writing something every day.
Since nothing happens without a deadline, I resolved not to refill the empty refrigerator with frosty, fun-filled cans of Rainier Ale until I wrote something today. Having documented my decision in writing, I see Ive serendipitously accomplished my goal.
Hi ho, hi ho, its off to Asads Market I go!
- 19 January 2004
- Better Unseen
- Some things should never be seen. I have a photograph of a thing I occasionally view when Im alone. Im always tempted to publish it, but doubt I ever will. Some things should never be seen.
- 20 January 2004
- Dead Baby Threat
- Sarah and her newborn daughter recently had to cancel their travel plans when the idiots ostensibly providing flight security wouldnt allow them to board the plane without a certified birth certificate for the baby.
Said morons claimed the infant posed a security threat; one made dark references to dead babies kept warm with chemicals. Sarah produced a pungent diaper chock full of recent biological activity and smeared the contents across the guards desk.
Baby shit, she said. Think about it.
Some people, after hearing that anecdote might think Sarah overreacted. Since she never reached for her necklacea garrote she kept as a memento from her MI5 daysI knew she was, in fact quite restrained. When Sarah gets really furious, heads can roll.
- 21 January 2004
- Pleasantly Unclear
- One of my dearest friends just sent me an extraordinarily lovely twelve-word note.
I miss you more than words can and cannot describe.
- That says nothing and it says it all; must be art. As Robert Heinecken observed, The function of art is not necessarily one of clarity.
last weak |
©2004 David Glenn Rinehart