- 18 December 2004
- No. 1,974 (cartoon)
- I walked by your place on Wednesday.
- 19 December 2004
- Driving Advice from Canada
- A few months ago a motorist was killed in Saint Joachim, Quebec, by another car that drifted into his lane and crash smashed into him. Although the victim was on the correct side of the road, police investigators discovered he probably wasnt paying full attention since he was having sexual intercourse with a passenger at the time. A police representative opined that such distracting behavior makes driving that much more dangerous.
I appreciate such cautionary tales; I can always learn from others mistakes.
- 20 December 2004
- Dissembling Strategically
- Claudia called to chastise me about the story about the urban matador.
You were lying, werent you? she demanded.
I wasnt, I replied.
You were too! Claudia shot back. You said Karl was there, and Karl said it never happened.
Have you never studied rhetoric? I asked rhetorically. I was dissembling, not lying.
Arguing with uneducated people is a waste of time even for me, so I changed the subject.
- 21 December 2004
- Lets Face It, Within Reason
- My father, who died fourteen years ago today, had two phrases which he used repeatedly: within reason, and lets face it.
Lets face it, dads dead ... within reason. I think he would have laughed at that sentence. Of course, Ill never know.
- 22 December 2004
- Witnessing Death
- Betsie, whos beginning her nursing career, just watched a patient die. She asked me if Id ever seen someone check out; I replied that I never had. (I didnt mention that Id seen men club seals over the head then rip the skin off their twitching, steaming bodies, but thats not the same thing, not even close.)
Although I can appreciate that watching someone die is one of those cathartic experiences that puts everything else in perspective, I dont want to see anyone die except me (in a reasonable number of decades from now).
- 23 December 2004
- According to the Alaska Department of Fish and Game
- I told Christina that scientists working for the Alaska Department of Fish and Game report that both genders of reindeer grow antlers in the summer, but that the males lose their racks in late November. The females, however, keep their antlers until spring.
That means, I concluded, that Rudolph and the other flying reindeer are all girls.
Maybe yes, maybe no, Christina replied with a wink.
I smiled; I almost forgot that Christina was Christopher when I met him and/or her.
last weak |
©2004 David Glenn Rinehart