- 24 December 2005
- No. 1,326 (cartoon)
- Theres so much love everywhere.
Dont believe everything Santa Claus tells you.
- 25 December 2005
- Christmas Execution
- I read that that Augustine Gbao, a senior commander of the rebel Revolutionary United Front, was executed today. The Sierra Leone fighter was captured when he sent his troops into battle dressed in Santa Claus outfits during the 31 October battle of Kenema.
Thats the holiday spirit!
- 26 December 2005
- Premature Valentines Day Preparations
- Pani reported that when she went to the grocery store this morning, the display of Christmas crap beside the cash register had already been replaced by a display of Valentines Day crap.
After hearing this, I concluded that it was just another example of relentless marketing. After thinking about it, though, I came up with a more benign interpretation: the unfortunate people working in the grocery store are probably even more weary of the xmas inanity than I am.
- 27 December 2005
- Happy Birthday Story
- I was surprised when Bonnie started crying when we sang Happy Birthday to You at her party tonight. She explained that the song reminded her of her father; it was his favorite tune. Bonnie said her family sang Happy Birthday at her fathers funeral.
- 28 December 2005
- Critiquing Duanes Work
- Duane got annoyed when I told him I didnt want to look at his insipid paintings.
Why are you giving my work short shrift? Duane demanded.
I really dont have a choice, I replied.
What do you mean by that? Duane asked.
Well, I explained, theres no such thing as a long shrift, is there?
- 29 December 2005
- One-Grape Opening
- Megan and I went to a horrible gallery opening tonight. The art was wretched, and there was no free wine. I grabbed a bite of food before we quickly escaped.
Stinky yuck, Megan opined as we left. What did you think of it?
I give the show a rating of one grape, I replied, since thats all I got out of it.
- 30 December 2005
- Two Fremont Tales
- Ive never been to Fremont, California, even though its very near San Francisco. Fremont is one of those places no one visits because its so boring. Or, at least thats what I thought until I read a couple of news stories this morning.
A pack of vicious Chihuahuas attacked a policeman and bit him in the ankle. The brief report didnt mention how many, if any, of the vile little beasts were shot.
Fremont police also reported that a local homeowner awoke to discover an intruder at her computer. The man escaped after looking at pornography.
Perhaps I need to reassess Fremont.
Or perhaps not.
- 31 December 2005
- Wasted Time
- Today is one of the longest days of my life. Most days are 86,400 seconds long, but today is 86,401 seconds. Whoever decides these things ordered that a leap second be added. I started to consider what I might do with the extra second, but realized that Id already wasted it.
last weak |
©2005 David Glenn Rinehart