- 19 March 2007
- No. 3,812 (cartoon)
- Do you believe in free will?
Of course, its our destiny.
- 20 March 2007
- Red Spring Omen
- At thirsty-thirty, Kara poured me a large glass of vodka, tomato juice, various spices, and ice. So far so good, but heres the spooky part. Three of the semi-circular pieces of ice floated to the surface to form a triangular aperture, a window into the icy, red, alcoholic reservoir below.
I grabbed the drink and my camera and headed out to the deck to photograph it. And thats where the problem started. Kara protested that the image was hers, since she poured the drink. I agreed, without pointing out that circles and triangles have always been in the public domain. I avoided a long debate by quickly quaffing the drink, and that was that.
- 21 March 2007
- Typical of Chinese Glorious History
- Theresa gave me a pair of chopsticks for todays flight; thats how Ill get the leftover pasta in my pack out of the plastic container and down my gullet. The idiots charged with providing airport security ignored the wooden implements, as if the bamboo utensils couldnt easily be sharpened into deadly weapons.
But thats neither here nor there. Instead, what I found remarkable about my utensils was the notice on their paper wrapper.
Welcome to Chinese Restaurant.
please try your Nice Chinese Food With Chopsticks the traditional and typical of Chinese glorious history.
- Glorious, and the sentence fragment, and cultural, were set in a different font, as if the three words were an afterthought.
- 22 March 2007
- Death By Asteroid?
- Damn! Just when I was getting relaxed, theres another story about another asteroid headed for Earth. Im talking about Apophis, which is supposed to pass closer than some satellites on Friday, the thirteenth of April, 2029. (That date should be of interest to paraskavedekatriaphobiacs and thirteenophiliacs alike.)
Ive heard similar stories before. In 1998, I read about some astral body that was supposed to crash here in October, 2028. And then in 2000, I heard about SG344, which was to smash us on on 21 September, 2030.
But Apophisthe Egyptian god of darkness and deathseems different. After its reconnaissance flight on 2029, astronomers will be able to determine whether the rock the size of a football stadium will really whap us when it comes around again in 2036.
I use the pronoun we loosely, since theres a good chance Ill be dead by then. And so, I dont spend much time worrying about asteroids, or anything else.
- 23 March 2007
- Larys Legacy
- Larys about to have his sixty-seventh birthday, and hes not doing much art these days. Lary explained that hed rather be remembered as a drinking buddy than as an artist.
And so, we drank. Lary was right; Ill already remember him.
- 24 March 2007
- Cheryls Great New Dress
- Cheryl asked me what I thought of her new dress.
Looks great! I opined.
Really? she replied skeptically. I thought you never noticed clothing.
I suppose youre right, I admitted. The only reason your frock looks lovely is because youre in it.
Cheryl smiled. Having talked my way out of a possible ambush, I smiled too.
- 25 March 2007
- Twelve San Francisco Hotels
- Twelve San Francisco Hotels is this months serious work, even though its not that serious at all. In fact, the piece consists of architectural photographs of the twelve hotels from the board game, Monopoly.
Twelve San Francisco Hotels
01. Crystal Palace Hotel
02. The Excelsior
03. Cosmopolitan Hotel
04. Ambrosia Hotel
05. Hotel Dor
06. Asian Splendor Hotel
07. Western Empire Hotel
08. Poseidon Hotel
09. The Olympian
10. The Elysian
11. The Sierra
12. Hotel Millennium
last weak |
©2007 David Glenn Rinehart