- 15 May 2008
- No. 6,810 (cartoon)
- Im infatuated.
I never could tell the difference.
- 16 May 2008
- Classical Mechanics
- A few days ago, a Japanese robot conducted the Detroit Symphony. Im not surprised; it seems like a logical progression in classical music. After all, Frank Zappa called orchestra musicians mechanics for a reason. Why grown adults sit around all day for decades on end taking musical orders from guys who died a century or two ago, this I do not know.
- 17 May 2008
- Uncompromising Conversation
- Isabella chastised me for publishing outrageous lies.
You know as well as anyone that I couldnt post anything on the Internet that wasnt true, I replied.
Thats another lie! Isabella exclaimed. Thats exactly what Im talking about.
Lets compromise, I suggested. You have to agree that a lot of the lies are true.
Isabella wouldnt compromise, so I changed the subject. After all, theres no point arguing with someone who wont make any concessions.
- 18 May 2008
- An Annoying Romance
- Bernies in love, and hes letting everyone know it. Romance is wonderful and exciting, but hearing about someone elses experience ad nauseam is not.
It sounds like she deserves a good husband, I observed. You should marry her before she finds one.
That shut him up, albeit for less than an hour.
- 19 May 2008
- Inscrutability Redux
- One week ago today, a massive earthquake killed tens of thousands of Chinese. To commemorate the tragedy, Chinese officials today called for three minutes of silence. So far, so predictable.
Now, heres the curious part of the remembrance. According to the news report I read, during the silent observance, air raid sirens blared, along with horns from cars, ships and trains.
I appreciate that the Chinese appreciate a very different culture from mine, but I never realized how disparate they were until I heard about using sirens and horns to engage in silence. Inscrutability redux.
- 20 May 2008
- Kennedy Brains
- Ooh, look at Kennedys brain! Dahlia shrieked.
Dahlia was referring to an image in the newspaper showing medical evidence of Ted Kennedys brain cancer. The senators prognosis is grim; his flavor of cancer usually kills quickly.
John Kennedys brains were splattered by an assassins bullet, and now his brothers are also on public display. It makes the assassination the third brother look relatively benign; at least Robert ended up in a pool of blood with his skull intact.
- 21 May 2008
- Enricos Absence Quantified
- Enrico has yet to master the nuances English, and that leads to some amusing exchanges.
The wine is all out, Enrico announced, I will go to buy more bottles.
How long will you be gone? I asked.
My straightforward question perplexed Enrico.
I will be gone until I return, he explained.
I probably should have given him a quick English tutorial, but, since that would have delayed his refueling mission, I just smiled and nodded.
last weak |
©2008 David Glenn Rinehart