- 16 October 2008
- No. 9,227 (cartoon)
- I want you to kiss me.
That would violate my Hippocratic oath.
We shouldnt even be having sex.
- 17 October 2008
- House of Blood
- I was talking with Vivian about photography, and telling her about how much I missed using my beautifully-machined film cameras such as Leicas, Rolleis, and ...
House of blood?! Vivian interrupted.
What are you talking about? I asked.
You just said you used a house of blood, she explained.
It took us a while to establish that she was talking about my Hasselblad cameras.
I do miss my Hasselblad, and if I ever replace the film holder with a digital back, I shall rename the camera House of Blood.
- 18 October 2008
- Abhorring Vacuums
- I read a news report that vigilant police in Thomas Township, Michigan, arrested a man for allegedly receiving sexual favors from a vacuum.
As anyone whos perused the 4 July 1980 issue of the British Medical Journal knows, some men seem to have a curious fondness for vacuum cleaners, but todays story is perhaps the first time anyone has put forward the anthropomorphic suggestion that a vacuum cleaner ever did a favor for anyone.
Nature abhors the situation, and Id wager that Sergeant Gary Breidinger does too.
- 19 October 2008
- Art Is Work
- I ran across a problematical quote I liked this morning.
I am going to be rather hard-nosed and say that if you have to find devices to coax yourself to stay focused on writing, perhaps you should not be writing what youre writing. And if this lack of motivation is a constant problem, perhaps writing is not your forte. I mean, what is the problem? If writing bores you, that is pretty fatal. If that is not the case, but you find that it is hard going and it just doesnt flow, well, what did you expect? It is work; art is work.
The problem is that Ursula K. Le Guin said that. How can I quote someone who writes about wizards and dragons? I think I will anyway; I've gone this far without worrying about appearances.
- 20 October 2008
- Watching Electrocutions
- Ive never seen anyone or anything get electrocuted, but if I do Ill know what to look for. If someones getting electrocuted with direct current electricity, s/hell be frozen in place. If the bodys shaking from spasms, though, thats the result of alternating current electricity. Id ask what happens when someones electrocuted by both types of electricity simultaneously, but Im afraid that might inspire someone to find out.
- 21 October 2008
- A Passion for Indolence
- Thia asked me why I was generally so happy.
Passion, I replied.
I dont want to hear about it, Thia replied with perhaps a blush, I dont want to know about your personal life.
Dont worry, I responded, Im talking about a passion for indolence.
You cant have a passion for indolence, Thia insisted, thats oxymoronic.
Youre confusing aggression with passion, I suggested. Once you tap into your true hebetude, I think youll find a fervor for languor.
I wasnt bothered when Thia heaped abuse on my proposition; its her loss.
last weak |
©2008 David Glenn Rinehart