- 9 April 2009
- No. 7,850 (cartoon)
- Competition is for losers.
Youre a loser.
- 10 April 2009
- Pillow Control in Detroit
- Detroit police recently confiscated a number of pillows before they could be used in a massive pillow fight. This move ruffled the feathers of civil libertarians, but I can appreciate the police strategy. If I was a policeman, Id be chasing pillow-toting villains instead of the nasty people with automatic weapons.
- 11 April 2009
- The Champagne Adds Up
- Bretts birthday gift to Rhonda wasnt well received.
What am I supposed to do with a bowling ball? Rhonda asked.
Going bowling comes to mind, Brett suggested. Anyway, its the thought that counts.
Well then just think it, Rhonda replied.
The day ended on a happy note. After Rhonda left, Brett opened the bottle of champagne hed intended to share with Rhonda. I avoided taking a position on the bowling ball dispute, and complimented Brett on the quality of the champagne.
Im not sure if its the champagne that counts, I commented as Brett refilled my glass, but it adds up nicely.
- 12 April 2009
- Easter Forecasting
- Today is Easter, an occasion when superstitious people subject an unfortunate rabbit to a macabre, sadistic meteorological experiment. Church elders nail a bunny to a cross. If the crucified hare looks down from her cross and sees her shadow, then well have six more weeks of wintery weather (and perhaps some nourishing hasenpfeffer as well).
Unless, of course, she dies and rises from the dead, in which case well have six weeks of summery weather. Or so the story goes.
As usual, Ill be ignoring Easter. No sane person takes superstitions and weather forecasts seriously.
- 13 April 2009
- Exploding Heads
- Im embarrassed to admit this, but Im fascinated by the latest pirate story. After failing to commandeer a ship, the pirates took the vessels captain hostage in a lifeboat. An American warship came to the captains rescue; three snipers killed the three pirates.
Theres something mesmerizing about the choreography on the rolling seas: three snipers firing three bullets at exactly the same time, which, in a fraction of a second, made three heads explode into a pink mist. The fatal bullets passed through three skulls before the sound of the guns reached the recently deceased pirates.
I generally dont support killing people under any circumstances, but Ill put aside my political correctness for the moment and imagine exploding heads in the tropical heat.
- 14 April 2009
- Getting Tales Read
- Amy told me my writing would be a lot more popular if I wrote about sex.
Im not interested in popularity or pornography, I replied.
I wasnt talking about pornography, Amy replied, just a little bit of spice to get some tales read.
I think that was a double entendre, but its best not to ask about such things.
- 15 April 2009
- No Minikilts in 2209?!
- Im not very interested in science fiction in general or the Star Trek franchise in particular, but some marketing giants are almost impossible to ignore. A local publication featured still photographs from an upcoming film that takes place in San Francisco in a couple of centuries.
No one will be surprised to see that attractive women are still wearing the same miniskirts and high boots theyve been wearing here for decades. It strikes me as curious, though, that men are still wearing pants. It seems that by 2209 men would logically be wearing minikilts.
Perhaps Id like science fiction better if it was more plausible, perhaps I wouldnt.
last weak |
©2009 David Glenn Rinehart