26 June 2001
- Harriets Visit, Twice Removed
- I had a dream last night, and, as I dreamt, I had another dream. I was surprised to see Harriet in my dream within a dream; I havent seen her since she died.
Harriet, I began, what are you doing here?
David, she replied, dont you remember? You invited me from your other dream.
I couldnt argue with that. I had nothing to say to her.
- 27 June 2001
- Sure Is Thirsty Out
- It sure is thirsty out.
Gotta do something about that.
Gotta do something about that real soon.
- 28 June 2001
- Avant-Garde Monsters
- I try to keep an open mind about most things, but I draw the line when it comes to the so-called avant-garde. Or, more accurately, the phrase avant-garde.
The avant-garde never was, and never will be, avant-garde. I believe Rebecca Solnit said it best:
The idea of the avant-gardewhich after all is a military termpresumes that we are all marching in the same direction; because we are all marching in the same direction we ought all like the same things, and avant-garde public art is supposed to be one of those things we will like if we continue marching forward.
Andrei Codrescu addressed the problem on less philosophical and more practical level.
The avant-garde has created a lot of monsters.
Thats really about all there is to say about the avant-garde.
- 29 June 2001
- Mutual Admiration Society
- Theresas back from Laos, and now shes on my laboratory roof with me drinking Rainier Ale.
I tell Theresa shes more beautiful than I remember her.
Teresa confidessince she knows me as a dear friendthat Im not as ugly as I would appear to be to some people who didnt know any better.
We continue to drink Rainier Ale and compliment each other until the cold fog forces us back down the hatch.
- 30 June 2001
- Rhymes with Fun Part
- Meg and I were clamoring down the cliff to the beach when I thought I heard someone call my name.
Meg, I asked, did you just hear someone say Rinehart?
No, Meg corrected, I believe they said heres the fun part.
Wow! I repleid. I never realized that Rinehart rhymes with fun part until now.
Meg replied with one of her quizzical furrowed-brow expressions, one of the seventy-three reasons that makes hiking with her quite pleasant.
- 1 July 2001
- Free Beer Sells Itself
- I just saw an ad for Free Beer, the only beer that matters.
Although the only beer that matters is a reasonably clever bit of advertising copywriting, it seems unnecessary, redundant. After all, free beer sells itself.