- 14 August 2004
- No. 3,001 (cartoon)
- Ill never change.
Youll never grow.
- 15 August 2004
- My First Wake, Delayed
- A year ago, I talked about planning my first wake. I just glanced at my calendar, and see I scheduled it for today. I dont remember setting a date, but apparently I did. I dont have anything approaching the amount of food and wine Id need for a good wake, but, since I havent invited anyone, thats not a problem.
Although I really like the idea of having a wake while Im still alive to enjoy it, Im beginning to understand why most people wait until after theyre deceased for such an event. Wakes are much less work to organize if youre dead.
- 16 August 2004
- Ambiguity with Amy
- You seem to have an ambiguous relationship with Amy, Kevin observed after Amy left.
It may appear that way to you, I replied. In fact, Amy and I are very close, and our relationship is clearly undefined. A lack of presuppositions makes real intimacy possible.
Kevin didnt understand.
- 17 August 2004
- Unpopular Music
- Im afraid things have not been going well with my new music software. Since I was stuck, I decided to take the unusual approach of reading the manual. I discovered what the problem was when I read the first page of instructions.
Most popular music today is based on repeating rhythmic patterns (sometimes called grooves or riffs), especially in the drum and bass parts.
- Damnation, that explains everything! I abhor popular music; its no wonder that everything Ive done with this software sounds like pabulum regurgitated. It looks like Im going to have to do some hard work; I suspect theres no simple computer program for making unpopular music.
- 18 August 2004
- Eroica is Erotica
- Robert Linder sent me an email with the subject line, Eroica/Erotica or the dumbing of America.
Linder began by quoting a remark I made when I wrote about three scantily-clad musicians: I only know two things about the word is Eroica: its the name of Beethovens third symphony, and its a misspelling of erotica. Then he set the record straight.
No, no no! Eroica is not a misspelling of erotica. Eroica (heroic) was the subtitle Beethoven gave to his third symphony to honor Napoleon. It has nothing at all to do with sex. Yikes!
- Linder may be historically correct, but that was then and this is now. When it comes to contemporary commerce, everything is about sex. For reasons that have nothing to do with Beethoven or Napoleon, eroica has become erotica. Just ask the women in the Erotica, er, Eroica trio.
- 19 August 2004
- dba Gods Messenger
- I was walking down the street when a woman at a bus stop waved to me and asked me what kind of headphones I was using. I told her the brand name, but she demanded to know the exact model number.
As she wrote down all the pertinent information, she explained that she was going to make some recordings, and that these headphonesand only this exact modelwould allow her to realize her dreams. She went on to ask me the relative merits of Los Angeles versus San Diego recording studios.
I lied, and said I was late for an appointment. As I walked away, she thanked me again and added, God sent you to me. God and I like the same headphones, how about that?
I think she was lonely or crazy, its a fine line.
last weak |
©2004 David Glenn Rinehart