- 6 November 2004
- No. 2,305 (cartoon)
- Are you thinking what Im thinking?
How could I not?
- 7 November 2004
- Corsettographs Interruptus
- Dr. Boros is considering starting a new career as a information technology support dominatrix. Her business plan is based on the presupposition that she can reach a large base of customers wholl pay her to whip themas well as their computersinto shape. Although Im definitely not part of her target audience, I nevertheless agreed to make a few press photographs for her in her new corset. After all, Ill do just about anything for my friends.
The session didnt go very well. We only made a few shots when she bolted for the door after she heard her car alarm bleating. She got there in time to see an old man running away with her swimsuits. Stilettos proved to be a poor choice of footwear for giving chase to the miscreant, and the combination of broken glass from her car window and gravity proved unfortunate. She returned to the studio bleeding here and there.
Oh well, no one ever said starting a new business would be easy.
- 8 November 2004
- According to Plan, or Not
- I went to an interesting presentation by Lynette Chiang tonight in which she talked about the months she spent traveling around Cuba on a bicycle. I appreciated her perspective and insights into one of those places thats too damn hot for me to visit. I thought her approach to travel was interesting; she said she arrived on the island with no preconceptions or schedule.
If you plan a holiday, she explained, you get the holiday you planned.
After that, I had a difficult time listening to her Cuban stories. I just kept thinking about her planning remark, and substituting different words for holiday. I left Chiangs presentation pleasantly confused about planning and almost everything else.
- 9 November 2004
- The Truth About Lithuanians
- I was walking down a thoroughfare we locals call Howwierd Street when I spotted a crazed woman holding a sign with the text, Ask Me The Truth About Lithuanians.
Its been over fifteen years since Ive been to Lithuania, so I took the disheveled woman up on her offer.
Excuse me, maam, I said, but Id be grateful if youd tell me the truth about Lithuanians.
If you really want to know, she replied looking around nervously to see if anyone else was within earshot, All foreignersespecially Lithuaniansprefer to speak English to each other when theyre alone.
I always thought so! I replied with a knowing wink.
I walked away feeling a little guilty about enjoying another persons mental illness.
- 10 November 2004
- Urban Matador
- Karl and I stared in disbelief as an old man, apparently drunk and/or drugged and/or insane, was playing matador in the middle of six lanes of fast traffic on Cesar Chavez Street. He appeared to be enjoying himself immensely.
You know that thing in your brain that stops people from doing really stupid suicidal stuff? Karl asked shaking his head. Well, he doesnt have that.
Thats certainly what empirical evidence would suggest, I agreed.
- 11 November 2004
- Libbys Potted Meat
- The four main ingredients in Libbys Potted Meat are mechanically separated chicken, partially defatted cooked pork fatty tissue, beef tripe, and partially defatted cooked beef fatty tissue.
That recipe is even more intriguing than it is repulsive. Defatted fatty tissue, imagine that!
last weak |
©2004 David Glenn Rinehart