- 30 October 2004
- No. 3,939 (cartoon)
- I envy you.
You can kiss me in places I cant.
- 31 October 2004
- The Most Beautiful Rabbit Ill Ever See
- Tonight I saw the most beautiful rabbit Ill ever see. As a relevant aside, no hallucinatory drugs were involved.
- 1 November 2004
- Reoccurring Kinetic Environmental Sculptures
- When I asked Yvette about her recent work, she told me she was making reoccurring kinetic environmental sculptures. Yvette declined my increasingly annoying attempts to invite myself to see them; she finally admitted that she was talking about piles of dirty laundry.
- 2 November 2004
- Quotably Unquotable
- Sylvia told me a scandalous story about treachery, betrayal, skullduggery, and mayonnaise.
You can quote me, Sylvia said when she saw me taking notes, but you cant use my name.
I told her Id consider her reasonable request, but didnt add that I doubted I could resist repeating one of the juiciest mayonnaise stories Ive ever heard.
- 3 November 2004
- A Rhetorical Election Question
- Its a grim if not grave day after the American elections. An English newspaper ran the headline, How can 59,054,087 people be so DUMB?
Hermann Goering answered the question many decades ago.
Naturally, the common people dont want war, but after all it is the leaders of the country who determine the policy, and it is always a simple matter to drag people along whether it is a democracy, or a fascist dictatorship, or a parliament, or a communist dictatorship. Voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to do the bidding of the leaders. This is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked, and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in every country.
- 4 November 2004
- Another Rhetorical Election Question
- What can you do when you live in a zoo? Dr. Adelman asked with a grim shrug.
And thats when I finally got an opportunity to cite an excerpt from a 4 June 1798 letter from Thomas Jefferson to John Taylor.
A little patience, and we shall see the reign of witches pass over, their spells dissolve, and the people, recovering their true sight, restore their government to its true principles. It is true that in the mean time we are suffering deeply in spirit, and incurring the horrors of a war and long oppressions of enormous public debt.
- Thomas Jefferson smoked a lot of crack cocaine, so Im not holding my breath a couple of centuries later.
- 5 November 2004
- Self-defecating Humor
- I listened to an interview with Greta Shockley this afternoon; shes a very funny comedian from Seattle. At one point in the conversation, I distinctly heard her describe her schtick as self-defecating humor. I wonder if she was serious? I suppose thats the sign of a good comedian; I dont know the answer.
last weak |
©2004 David Glenn Rinehart