- 9 January 2006
- No. 3,804 (cartoon)
- Youre a liar.
Youre an impostor.
We have so much in common.
- 10 January 2006
- Laras Ocicat
- Lara showed me her new kitten, a purebred Ocicat.
That certainly is a cute little wussy, I opined.
At three-thousand dollars a kilo she should be, Lara replied.
I decided not to point out that, instead of patronizing a breeder, she could have had one of the zillions of kittens that are killed every year for want of someone to adopt them. Since I missed the opportunity to make that point, I decided to simply share her bemusement with the endearing little kitten that sliced the back of my hand open with her first swipe.
- 11 January 2006
- Dr. Dr. Acids Birthday
- Dr. Dr. h.c. mult. Albert Hofmann, the father of lysergic acid diethylamide, is celebrating his hundredth birthday today. (I have no idea how Swiss titles work, but his suitably impressive title really does begin with Dr. Dr.) Not only did Hofmann discover LSD, he also isolated psilocybin and psilocin from Psilocybe mexicana (more commonly known by its colloquial name, Mexican magic mushroom).
Hofmann referred to LSD as both a wonder drug and his problem child. He should know; he was the first person to use the exceptional drug.
U.S. government bureaucrats, who had a vested interest in keeping the doors of perception closed, outlawed LSD in 1966. Prohibition had the predictable effect: lysergic acid diethylamide remains desirable both because of its remarkable effects as well as because its illegal.
I have no idea whether or not LSD is as safe as it is efficacious, but the hundredth birthday of a frequent user like Hofmanncoupled with enthusiastic reports from wildly creative userssuggests that ...
Well, Im sure it suggests something, but I cant seem to think clearly at the moment for reasons I still cant imagine.
- 12 January 2006
- Reading Menus in Hebrew
- After Sharon and I had gone on a long walk, she asked me where we should eat.
Perhaps a taqueria, I suggested predictably, or any place thats cheap and cheerful.
I read menus in Hebrew myself, Sharon replied.
Whats that supposed to mean? I asked.
It means I read from right to left, starting with the prices, then seeing what Ill get.
Me too, I agreed, although I never called it that description.
And of course, I cant call it that without being accused of being anti-Semitic. Since Sharons Jewish (albeit secular), she can and does read menus in Hebrew with impunity.
- 13 January 2006
- Colon Oil?!
- Penelope and I went to a Long Now debate tonight that wasnt much of a debate at all. Both of the speakers were erudite, genteel, and presented well-reasoned arguments with not a hint of sophistry. No insults, no chicanery, no hostility, no fun at all.
Well, almost no fun.
Peter Schwartz saved the evening by talking about Americans dependence on colon oil. As soon as he said that, Penelope and I looked at each other in amazement.
After that, we started paying more attention, and soon realized that Schwartz was talking about coal and oil.
We continued to giggle and smirk every time we heard Schwartz say colon oil, even though he never really did. Penelope and I left the so-called debate not knowing any more about Americans dependence on colon oil than when we arrived.
- 14 January 2006
- Save the Nothing
- I was telling Buzz about a remarkable conversation I had with the guitar player from a well-known, decades-old UK punk band. The musician declared, at great length, that the monarchy was doubtlessly the best form of government.
I could never figure out why punks like royalty, Buzz said.
But punks generally hate royalty, I argued. The most obvious example is the Sex Pistols.
Thats not true, Buzz replied, the Sex Pistols loved the royal family.
What about the line in, God Save the Queen, about her not being a human being? I asked.
Thats a perfect example, Buzz agreed. They couldnt have a song called, God Save the Nothing, could they?
I told Buzz that was perhaps the most stupid thing hed ever said, and we proceeded to enjoy a long and increasingly inane argument.
last weak |
©2006 David Glenn Rinehart